Building Permit - Residential
Residential - New Structure, Additions, and Remodels
Permit required when erecting new structures and when adding to or modifying existing structures on a commercial/industrial/multi-family property
The length of time it takes to issue a residential permit varies on the complexity of the project.
- Permit Application (either form below as applicable)
New Construction Permit Application
This permit is required when erecting new structure on a residential property. New structures include but are not limited to: new homes, garages, pole barns, sheds, fences (over 6 feet), retaining walls (4 feet or higher from the footing).
Addition/Remodel Permit Application
This permit is required when adding onto or modifying any existing residential structure. Remodels include any alterations or repairs to the existing structure including but not limited to siding (in excess of one square), windows, doors, soffit, facia, drywall, egress windows, basement waterproofing, etc.
- 2 sets of drawings. (New Homes and Additions)
- 1 Electronic Copy of Plans (New Homes and Additions)
- Permit and Plan Review Fees
- All contractors must be registered with the City of Rock Island
- Zoning Approval
- Public Works Department approval and issuance of Grading & Drainage permit
- Approval from Rock Island County Health Department Environmental Division for well and septic plans (if applicable)
Please use this Plan Submittal Guide as a checklist to ensure a timely review. Additional details or submittals may be required by the Building Official.
The owner or anyone they choose may draw the plans as long as they are clear and detailed enough to indicate what and how the project will be built. In some cases, the complexity of the project, which may include engineered calculations and techniques not specifically addressed by code, will require the skills of a professional.
Persons doing permitted work are expected to know when inspections are required. Necessary inspections may vary greatly based on the scope or work being done. Please keep communications open with the appropriate Inspector.
For a list of required inspections please view the Inspection Division handout: