Biography Chief VenHuizen has been a member of the Rock Island Police Department since 1993. During that time, Chief VenHuizen has worked a variety of assignments to include Patrol Officer, K-9 Officer, Field Training Officer, Police Sergeant, Narcotics Supervisor, Agent to the Office of Professional Standards, Police Lieutenant, and Deputy Chief of Police. Chief VenHuizen was appointed to the position of Chief of Police in 2012.
Chief VenHuizen is a graduate of Western Illinois University where he holds a Bachelor of Science Degree, a graduate of the Northwestern School of Police Staff and Command, and a graduate of the FBI National Academy.
Chief VenHuizen’s awards and recognitions include:
• Officer of the Year (1999)
• Meritorious Service Award (2006)
• Life Saving Award (1994)
• Chief’s Commendation (1998)
• Thirteen Certificates of Recognition and three Certificates of Commendation
• Clifford W. VanMeter Award for Scholastic Achievement, Basic Law Enforcement Class
• Rock Island Renaissance Leadership Award (2014)
Chief VenHuizen remains committed to building partnerships within the community and combating criminal activity through highly pro-active and focused enforcement efforts that focus on problem solving. "I am proud of the partnerships that have been built between the community and the police department. It is through these partnerships that we can reduce crime, build further trust, and enhance the quality of life in our community."