M.L. Lockhart Scholarship
M.L. Lockhart was chosen as the first director of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center. he was charged with the responsibility to uphold its mission. Promote opportunities for a diverse population through a variety of programs and services. The M.L. Lockhart was created to provide funding to college bound youths that have embraced this same spirit.
This scholarship is available to students who:
- Are Rock Island High School seniors
- Have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or above.
- Demonstrate financial need.
The award amount is decided annually and ranges from $250-$1000.
Applicants are required to submit the following information:
- Three letters of reference:
- one from a school counselor
- one from a teacher
- one from a community resident
(excluding representatives of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center and members of the applicant’s immediate family)
- Copy of official high school transcript
- A completed scholarship application
Note: Members of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center Board, scholarship selection committee, and immediate family members are not eligible to participate in and/or receive a scholarship under this program.
Applying for the Scholarship
All applications are due by 5:00 pm on Friday, June 3. Applications will only be accepted on the approved M.L. Lockhart Scholarship Application Form.