NPDES MS4 Permit
The City filed a storm water permit application with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency in March of 2003. The permit is required under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Program.
There are several requirements associated with the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4) Permit. These include:
1. Develop a storm water management program comprised of best management practices (BMPs) and measurable goals for each of the following six minimum control measures:
- Public education and outreach on storm water impacts
- Public involvement and participation
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Construction site stormwater runoff control
- Post construction storm water management in new development and redevelopment
- Pollution prevention/good housekeeping for municipal operations
3. Submit an annual report to IEPA in June of each year starting in 2004. The reports must include:
- The status of compliance with the permit conditions, including an assessment of the BMPs and progress toward the measurable goals;
- Results of any information collected and analyzed, including monitoring data;
- A summary of the storm water activities planned for the next reporting cycle;
- A change in any identified best management practices or measurable goals; and
- If applicable, notice of relying on another governmental entity to satisfy some of the permit obligations.