Available Wi-Fi Locations
The City of Rock Island provides free wireless internet access in the following locations:
Setting Up a Wi-Fi Connection:
- Insert a Wi-Fi CERTIFIED TM NIC card.
- Set your wireless LAN setting to SSID:RIFI.
- Launch your internet browser to go to your favorite website. (Note: The City of Rock Island’s website will likely be the first page displayed when the connection is completed.)
Using a Wi-Fi Connection
Wi-Fi (wireless fidelity) is an internet connection pumped out via radio waves for use with laptops and other communications devices without plugging into an electrical outlet.
- The device used must be set up and enabled for Wi-Fi and have a Wi-Fi card.
- The user must be in the vicinity of the Wi-Fi service known as a hot spot.
- If the provider is using a WEP encryption, either a sign should be posted with the WEP key (or password) or you will need to ask an employee for the WEP key. If it is a no-WEP establishment, you should be able to access the Wi-Fi immediately.
Wi-Fi Hot Spot / Zone Security Statement
This security statement is provided to help users learn more about the security limitations of free Wi-Fi hot spot services.
- Privacy while using Wi-Fi hot spots cannot be guaranteed.
- Wireless LAN services may be illicitly intercepted by equipment and software unless they are connected securely to another server using SSL encryption or other means.
- Users are responsible to take measures to secure their devices and internet communications.
- It is strongly recommended that users provide their own security such as virtual private networks, encryption, and personal firewalls.
- This service does not provide these above solutions and cannot guarantee or be responsible for security infringements occurring while using the City's Wi-Fi services.
- This security statement may be updated from time to time.