Update Rock Island is a segment at City Council meetings given by Mayor Mike Thoms focusing on news in Rock Island. The video segment from the meeting is available on YouTube.
Holiday Garbage and Recycling Collection – will be on the normal collection schedule during the week of the President’s Day Holiday. City of Rock Island offices will be open on President’s Day, Monday, February 21, 2022 with the exception of the Rock Island Public Library, which will be closed so that staff may attend annual training.
Rock Island Public Library to host Dr. Jane Simonsen, Professor of History at Augustana College for a free lecture on Standing on (Her) Ground: Native American Women & Land Claims in Eastern Iowa - on February 17, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. at the downtown Rock Island Library. Dr. Simonsen will share the stories of Native American women who sought legal claim to their land.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center Events and Happenings
- Free, drop-in PCR COVID testing is available at the Martin Luther King Center on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9am-3pm, and on Thursdays from 9am-5pm. All are welcome.
- The MLK Center is hosting United Way's VITA tax preparation assistance program through April 9th for qualifying individuals and families. No appointments are needed, but lines form quickly so it's best to come early. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5-8pm, and Saturdays from 9am-noon.
- 3) The MLK Center is hosting the Putnam Museum's traveling exhibits on the history of civil rights in the Quad Cities. This exhibit will be on display in the MLK Center's lobby during regular hours of operation through the end of February.
QCCA Expo Center Events
- QCCA Outdoor show – This four-day event starts Thursday, February 17, 2022 through Sunday, February 20, 2022 and features a variety of resources for anyone interested in the great outdoors. A large number of hunting, fishing, and boating vendors will be on hand as well as representatives from charters, resorts, government agencies and conservation clubs. Tommy Skarlis, known as one of the most inspiring and dynamic outdoor professionals on the planet, will be this year's featured presenter and will provide multiple seminars on fishing secrets and tactics. A kid’s camp area will also be available with an archery range, trout fishing pond, minnow races and more.
- RV & Camping Show – will be held Friday February 25, 2022 – Sunday February 27, 2022 and will feature an enormous indoor showroom for the latest models of motorhomes, trailers, toy haulers, 5th wheels and other recreational vehicles.
For ticket information for either of these events, visit www.qccaexpocenter.com.
<iframe width="auto" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mQLu8gE5Rng" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>