From a movie that’s fun for everyone to ongoing events for littles, the first week of August promises to be a cool time for visitors to the Rock Island Public Library.
The mixture of in-person and online events at the Rock Island Public Library for the first week of August include:
Tuesday, August 2:
- Southwest Book Sale, 10:00am - 1:00pm, Rock Island Southwest Library, 9010 Ridgewood Road. Fill a bag for a donation, benefit library projects. For everyone. This event repeats on the first Tuesday of each month.
- Virtual Storytime, 10:30 am to 11:00 pam, via Facebook Live. Stories and songs online with Children’s Librarian Miss Ranell. Best for ages five and under. This event repeats weekly.
- Weekly Teen Book Talk, 3:45 pm, also via Facebook Live. Book suggestions for ages 12 and up with young adult librarian Emily.
- Library2Go at the National Night Out: 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm, at Longview Park, Rock Island. The mobile bookmobile will be at the Community Caring Conference event. Stop by to check out books onboard, renew or apply for a library card, play the library’s yard games and more. For everyone.
- Cinema at Southwest, 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm, at the Southwest Branch, 9010 Ridgewood Road. Features a free movie showing and popcorn. This month’s PG-rated movie is suitable for most ages. Celebrate the 40th anniversary of this 1982 classic tale of extraterrestrial friendship between Elliott and his lost visitor, who just wants to “phone home.” Cinema at Southwest repeats on the first Tuesday of each month.
Wednesday, Aug. 3:
- Toddler Tales, 11:00 am to 11:30 am, Southwest Branch, 9010 Ridgewood Road. In-person stories and songs with Children’s Librarian “Miss Ranell” for ages five and under. Repeats each Wednesday in August with new stories each week.
Friday, Aug. 5:
- The A to Zzz’s of Sleep Health by Cathy Rosenbaum PharmD, 2:00 to 3:30 pm, Rock Island Downtown Library, 401 19th Street. Are you one of millions of people who have trouble sleeping soundly on a regular basis? Come learn about the stages of sleep, causes for insomnia, and various interventions touted to improve sleep quality with Dr. Cathy Rosenbaum, a holistic clinical pharmacist, certified fitness nutrition coach, and founder and CEO of Rx Integrative Solutions, Cincinnati, Ohio.
All of the above events are offered at no charge and are open to the public.
For more information about library events and services, visit the library website, call 309-732-7323 (READ,) or follow library social media pages.