City Council Goal #2
**Please turn your Mobile Device sideways for better viewing experience.
GOAL #2: EXPANDING LOCAL ECONOMY
• Retain and expand local businesses
• Support growth in small business development
• Attract new businesses to Rock Island
• Increase the number of job opportunities
• Attract and retain young professionals
• Foster a cooperative business model with shared ownership
|ACTION STEP 1: Business Improvement Districts. (Seven Votes)
The establishment of Business Improvement Districts as an addition to sales tax within the District and create a redevelopment plan with a consultant paid from hotel / motel revenues.
February 2020 – Study Session
• State of Illinois regulations
• Proposed area • Pros / cons
• QC equivalents (Moline, Davenport, Bettendorf, East Moline)
• Business and property owners (proposed and current areas)
• Long range effects
• Funding source for study
|ACTION STEP 2: Business Succession Planning Program. (Six Votes)
To retain businesses by assisting in transitioning ownership through cooperative or other partnership arrangement for continuation of those businesses where the owner has no one to succeed them; or by assisting the family in taking over the business.
• Study Session was presented by SBDC staff in Spring, 2019 - COMPLETED
• Business registration program will include a question about succession
planning. The CED department will sponsor and promote 2 succession
planning workshops using SBDC staff for Rock Island businesses each year
• Spring 2020 – work with SBDC staff to educate staff on programs and
opportunities, including SBA loans, taxes, etc.
• June 2020 – Succession Planning Workshop
• November 2020 –Succession Planning Workshop
|ACTION STEP 3: Aggressively Market the Downtown (Business). (Six Votes)
If we get the historic downtown designation, we need to actively and aggressively promote the tax credits, enterprise zone and TIF district. If it expires in 2020, that is all the more incentive to move here now.
Support: J. Wild Marketing, DARI, Business Realtors, Downtown Property Owners Chamber of Commerce
*Note: DARI and Chamber of Commerce are invited to all meetings
November 2019 - Meeting with business realtors - COMPLETED
December 2019 - Report to Council re: Realtors Meeting - COMPLETED, STUDY SESSION
March 2020 - Study Session presentation on available properties downtown
• Work with local realtors to obtain updated listing information
• Marketing plan for this information – where do we share? (LOIS, website,
• Engage Jason Wild/DARI to assist in marketing efforts
April 2020 – National Register of Historic Places Downtown District educational
• Invite Downtown property owners, downtown businesses, local developers,
brokers, construction companies / trades
• SHPO will be invited to present
|ACTION STEP 4: Zero Interest Economic Development Revolving Loan Program or Forgivable Loans When Meeting Certain Criteria. (Six Votes)|
October 2019 - CED Study Session - COMPLETED
January of 2020 - CED staff will present program for council approval.
• Determine funding source
• Determine eligibility (type of business, eligible expenses, maximum amount)
• Determine clawbacks
• Model after Housing Rehab program with 5-year forgivable loans
• Determine what the 5-year requirement looks like
• Recommendation on who will administer the program
|ACTION STEP 5: Plan for Legalized Recreational Marijuana. (Five Votes)Revenue sharing agreement for Illinois Side of the Quad Cities, but single dispensary in Rock Island. Work together to get a dispensary.|
• August 2019 - Staff will prepare letter of support for legal marijuana
operations for Council approval - NOT NEEDED
• September 2019 - Staff will have draft language for zoning complete and
present study session
- Zoning code update (distances, locations, etc.) - COMPLETED
- Cannabis related uses definitions (cafe, dispensary, etc.) - IN PROCESS
- Coordinate with the Police Department and Finance Department
- Legal review of proposed language - COMPLETED
• October 2019 - Regulations presented for Council approval - COMPLETED
EXCEPT FOR MARIJUANA CENTER
|ACTION STEP 6: Flood Free Promotion. (Three Votes)
We don’t flood and that is our biggest business environment asset!!!!
|LEAD: CED, CM
We can mention this to businesses looking to locate in the downtown and realtors but do not recommend advertising this heavily. Would prefer to not make this an Action Step due to the sensitive nature.
|ACTION STEP 7: Better Marketing (Events Marketing). (Three Votes)|
Support: CED, J. Wild Marketing, Chamber, Visit Quad Cities, DARI, Parks, Businesses
Fall/Winter 2019/2020 - Establish marketing task force with key stakeholders
• Engage Jason Wild to help determine best practices for marketing the
calendar of events.
• Work with each event to collect information (Parks and Rec., Theaters,
Genesius guild, High schools, organizations, etc.)
• Determine best collection method for information
• Understanding of all event venues in Rock Island, especially those
offering a unique experience (small venue, dinner theater, outdoor
March 2020 – Marketing plan for activities in Rock Island event calendar.
ACTION STEP 8:
DBE (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program. (Three Votes)
Continue work already in progress
• Study with Augustana College completed. No significant
• City Manager will have ongoing meetings with NAACP. Looking to
regroup. Currently meeting with stakeholders.
December 2019 – Study Session with recommendations - COMPLETED
February 2020 - ordinance and resolution to City Council
ACTION STEP 9:
Economic Development (Business Marketing). (Three Votes)
Promote everywhere, including 11th Street and Watchtower Plaza
Support: J. Wild Marketing, QC First, Chamber of Commerce, DARI
October 2019 - Staff attends ICSC Conference in Chicago. - COMPLETED
November 2019 - Report to Council on ICSC Conference
November 2019 - Business Realtors meeting - COMPLETED
December 2019 - Report to Council re: Realtors Meeting - COMPLETED
December 2019 - Developers Social - DELAYED PENDING EXPANDED DARI PARTNERSHIP
February 2020 - Study Session Presentation on marketing lan to promote available properties throughout the City.