Required for All HVAC/Mechanical Work
Application for Permit
- HVAC/Mechanical Permit application form
(Application must be completed and signed by Owner or Registered Contractor as applicable)
- Mechanical Permit Fees
- Contractors must be registered with the City of Rock Island
|License and Registration Required
Any HVAC/Mechanical work done on Rental, Commercial, or Industrial properties MUST be done by a registered and licensed mechanical contractor.
Plan SubmittalsTwo sets of plans are required for commercial work (please view a list the City of Rock Island Building Codes and Ordinances to verify compliance):
- Mechanical plan showing all combustion air, return air, supply openings, furnace/boiler locations along with venting, BTU input and output, locations, fire dampers and installation details, flame spread ratings of all insulated ducts, gas piping sizes and locations with support, Class I hoods and ducts along with the fire protection systems, shaft construction sections, duct sizing and appropriate system shut-offs shown.
- Utility Turn On
(requirements: gas and electric)
Owner Occupied HomesA homeowner can receive a HVAC/mechanical permit if the following criteria are met:
- Owner occupies the unit.
- Owner obtains a permit to do the work, and the completed work meets all code requirements.
- The homeowner's permit is applicable to single-family owner occupied dwellings only.
InspectionsPersons doing permitted work are expected to know when inspections are required. Necessary inspections may vary greatly based on the scope or work being done. Please keep communications open with the appropriate Inspector.
For a list of required inspections please view the Inspection Division handout: