Building Permit - Commercial
Permit required when erecting new structures and when adding to or modifying existing structures.
Typical turn around time for a commercial building permit is 2 (two) weeks.
Items Required for Permit
- Permit Application (either form below as applicable)
New Construction Permit Application
This permit is required when erecting new structure on a commercial/industrial/multi-family property. New structures include but are not limited to: primary structures, garages, pole barns, sheds (over 200 sq ft), fences (over 6 feet), retaining walls (4 feet or higher from the footing), loading docks, truck scales, and cell towers .
Addition/Remodel Permit Application
This permit is required when adding onto or modifying any existing commercial/industrial/multi-family structure. Remodels include any alterations or repairs to the existing structure including but not limited to siding (in excess of one square), windows, doors, soffit, facia, drywall, egress windows, basement waterproofing, etc.)
- Plan Review Cover Sheet (Required to accompany plan submittal)
- 2 sets of sealed plans stamped "For Construction," and sealed by a State of Illinois Licensed Architect or Engineer, including all MEP's as required
- 1 Electronic Copy of Plans - CD
- Permit and Plan Review Fees
- All contractors must be registered with the City of Rock Island
- Zoning Approval
- Food establishments require prior approval from the City Health Inspector.
- Public Works Department approval and issuance of Grading & Drainage permit
- Approval from Rock Island County Health Department Environmental Division for well and septic plans (if applicable)
- Click on permit type link to the left for specifc trade plan submittal requirements.
Please use this Plan Submittal Guide as a checklist to ensure a timely review. Additional details or submittals may be required by the Building Official.
Persons doing permitted work are expected to know when inspections are required. Necessary inspections may vary greatly based on the scope or work being done. Please keep communications open with the appropriate Inspector.
For a list of required inspections please view the Inspection Division handout: