Application for Permit
- Plumbing Permit application form
(Application must be completed and signed by Owner or Registered Contractor as applicable)
- Excavation Permit
- Permit Fees
- All contractors must be registered with the City of Rock Island
|State of Illinois Plumbing License and Contractor Registration Required
Any plumbing work done on Rental, Commercial, or Industrial properties MUST be done by a State of Illinois Licensed plumbing contractor.
Persons doing permitted work are expected to know when inspections are required. Necessary inspections may vary greatly based on the scope or work being done. Please keep communications open with the appropriate Inspector.
For a list of required inspections please view the Inspection Division handout:
Remember, if the items needing inspection are covered without inspection, the permit holder will be required to expose these items through any means necessary, at the expense of the applicant.
Two sets of plans are required for commercial work (please view a list the City of Rock Island Building Codes and Ordinances to verify compliance):
- Plumbing plan showing thermal expansion tank, temperature relief and vacuum relief as necessary for water heaters, riser diagram for all water piping including size and type, riser diagram for the drain, waste and vent system including size and type of pipe, indicate separation between sewer and water services, indicate drinking fountains or bottled water, indicate the type of backflow protection (RPZ requires floor drain), provide catalog cuts for all fixtures, faucets and plumbing equipment, indicate the type and location of all special valves, appliances and devices, indicate the location of all pipe cleanouts, provide details for handicapped access to the plumbing fixtures (size of water closet enclosure, height of water closet, grab bars, lavatory, tissue holder, mirror and length of grab bars, location of grease trap, location of water meter.
Fire Systems Installations
All fire sprinkler installations and/or modifications will require a completed plumbing application and the following information to be submitted for review:
- 2 complete set of engineering drawings.
- Complete set of hydraulic calculations out to the connection to the City of Rock Island water supply system - including the proposed reduced pressure backflow prevention device.
- Equipment cut-sheets on:
- Proposed sprinkler heads
- Reduced pressure backflow prevention device
- Fire pump with design curve (if applicable)
- Fire pump controller (if applicable)
- Tamper and flow switches
- Alarm monitoring panel (if applicable)
All fire alarm systems must be approved by the Fire Department before the Inspection Division will issue a Certificate of Occupancy.
Owner Occupied Homes
A homeowner can receive a plumbing permit if the following criteria are met:
- Owner occupies the unit.
- Owner purchases the necessary equipment for the installation or repairs.
- Owner personally does the work; the owner obtains a permit to do the work, and the work meets all code requirements.
- The homeowner's permit is applicable to single-family owner occupied dwellings only.
Call JULIE Before You Dig
- Before you begin digging, remember that Illinois law requires that you call JULIE (Joint Underground Locating Information for Excavators) to request that all underground utilities (natural gas, electric, telephone, cable, water, sewer, etc.) be located and marked in the vicinity of the excavation. It's easy for homeowners and contractors to reach JULIE Online or by phone by dialing 1-800-892-0123