Electrical Permit

Required for All Electrical Work

Application for Permit

  • Electric Permit Application form
    (Application must be completed and signed by Owner or Registered Contractor as applicable)
  • Electrical Permit Fees
  • All contractors must be registered with the City of Rock Island

License and Registration Required
Any electrical work done on Rental, Commercial, or Industrial properties MUST be done by a registered and licensed electrical contractor.
All service work is required to be done by a licensed and registered contractor under permit.

Low Voltage Wiring

The growing concern over low-voltage wiring installations stem from the improper support of low-voltage wiring in fire and non-fire rated ceilings and ceiling assemblies. In the Project Description section of the permit, please, note what type of low-voltage wiring installation is being installed.

When do I need a Permit?
Low voltage electrical permits are needed when installing low voltage wiring in existing buildings and new construction.
Examples include but are not limited to the installation or alteration of:
  • Security systems
  • Data and telecommunication cabling
  • Media rooms
  • Low voltage lighting
Electrical low voltage permits are NOT required in the following cases:
  • Telecommunications and data cabling in a single-family dwelling or within one unit of a multi-family residence
  • Systems connected to an outlet by a plug
  • Installing a new phone

Plan Submittal

Two sets of plans are required for commercial work (please view a list the City of Rock Island Building Codes and Ordinances to verify compliance):
  • Electrical plan showing all electrical equipment, devices, one line diagrams showing all feeders, service equipment, panel schedules and locations, emergency systems, life safety systems, and load calculations.

Helpful Handouts

Owner Occupied Homes

A homeowner can receive an electrical permit if the following criteria are met:
  • Owner occupies the unit.
  • Owner obtains a permit to do the work, and the completed work meets all code requirements.
  • The homeowner's permit is applicable to single-family owner occupied dwellings only.
All utility service work required to be done by a licensed and registered contractor under permit.

Call Before You Dig

Before you begin digging, remember that Illinois law requires that you call JULIE (Joint Underground Locating Information for Excavators) to request that all underground utilities (natural gas, electric, telephone, cable, water, sewer, etc.) be located and marked in the vicinity of the excavation. It's easy for homeowners and contractors to reach JULIE Online or by phone by dialing 1-800-892-0123.

When requesting a locate, provide a name, address, phone number, the location of the excavation, the start date of the project, and the size of the excavation. The area of the excavation should be marked in white paint or with stakes. Requests for the locate(s) must be at least 48 hours (two working days, excluding weekends and holidays) prior to digging.


Persons doing permitted work are expected to know when inspections are required. Necessary inspections may vary greatly based on the scope or work being done. Please keep communications open with the appropriate Inspector.

For a list of required inspections please view the Inspection Division handout:
Remember, if the items needing inspection are covered without inspection, the permit holder will be required to expose these items through any means necessary, at the expense of the applicant.