Human Rights Commission
| 2021 Meeting Schedule
All meetings begin at 5pm
|January 21||February 18||March 18|
|April 15||May 20||June 17|
|July 15||August 19||September 16|
|October 21||November 18||December 16|
The purpose of the Human Rights Commission is to help eliminate prejudice and discrimination due to race, sex, religion, age, or disability and to safeguard the rights of all citizens as defined by law.
The Human Rights Commission also serves as the City’s Fair Housing Board with respect to discrimination complaints as they relate to housing issues.
The Human Rights Commission has three primary roles:
- To receive and review complaints regarding alleged discriminatory actions and to mediate disputes that arise from those complaints.
- Serve as a clearing house for information and referral to State and Federal agencies which deal with human rights matters.
- Review City related policies and procedures regarding Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity practices, contracting/procurement procedures, and other areas related to human rights issues and city policies.
Filing a Complaint
Rock Island residents who feel they have been the subject of a discriminatory act may file a complaint with the Human Rights Commission.
- Once a completed complaint is received, the Commission can work with the parties involved to mediate the dispute and work toward a resolution. In some cases a complaint may be referred to the Illinois Department of Human Rights or another agency for resolution.
- Note that filing a complaint with the Rock Island Human Rights Commission should not take the place of filing a complaint with the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights, or any other state or federal agency which may address issues of discrimination.
- In order to preserve your legal rights and potential remedies under various federal and state statutes, the appropriate agency or private legal counsel should be contacted particularly with regard to the timing with which a complaint must be filed.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings.
Most Recent Agendas | View All Agendas
Minutes are also available following approval.
Most Recent Minutes